Monday, July 14, 2014

Portola again

The plan for Wikipedia editing was to move on from Portola (for a while), but an unexpected development brought me back. As an easy way to connect all of the California places mentioned in the Crespi (and other) diaries of the Portola expedition, I created a new category (category links are found in a bar at the bottom of WP articles) called "Places of the Portola expedition". For reasons never convincingly explained (to my mind) in subsequent discussions, a couple of other editors found that to be an unacceptable use of categories and the cat has now been deleted. It was suggested that a better option would be to create a new article giving a "timeline" of the expedition. Well yes, I agree, but it's a lot of work - which is why I went the "category" route as a short-term solution.

Anyway, I'm now working on that article, to be titled "Timeline of the Portola expedition (1769-70)". Learning some new WP techniques along the way - like how to use the template that creates collapsible sections in an article. It's also a chance to upload a few images from the Bolton book, like the map above.